1 Sitio(s) de ejecución
Stanisława T., born in 1927, describes the camp Szebnie :
“Y.U. : What was this place before ? Was it an empty plot?
W: Before, there were agricultural fields. And in the middle of the fields there was a manor.
Y.U. : Was there only one building inside this agricultural property?
W: No, there were many buildings. The owners of the manor had stables with horses; they had a garden with a small building inside. In all, there were four buildings: two on each side of the road. The servants lived in one of those houses and another one was the manor of the Gorajscy family.
YIU: During the construction of the camp were the buildings fenced in with the barbed wire?
W: Yes, the entire camp was fenced in with barbed wire.
Y.U.: How far was the central building from the fence?
W: Not that far, a couple of meters away from the Gorajscy manor. There was a gate to enter the camp.
Y.U. : Did the construction start immediately after the Germans’ arrival?
W: Shortly after, during the first year. In the beginning there was no electricity in the camp. It was after that the barracks were built and the electricity was established.
Y.U. : What kind of building materials were you forced to bring? Was it wood or stone?
W : Stones, gravel, sand, planks, and iron wires. (Testimony n°363, interviewed in Bierówka, on June 23, 2014)
There was probably another execution of Hungarian Jews in Dobrucowa, but the bodies were burned. [Court Inquiries about executions and mass graves in districts, provinces, camps and ghettos-Ankieta Sadow Grodzkich; USHMM; RG-15.019M Reel#10, File 34, p.284-285]
Dobrucowa is a village located in Podkarpackie voivodeship, 60 kilometers south west of the regional capital Rzeszow. Before the war, Jews didn’t live in Szebnie or Dobrucowa but Jews from Warzyce and other towns were coming there to trade from time to time.
The victims murdered in Dobrucowa were all brought from the Szebnie concentration camp created in spring 1943 at the place of the former POW’s camp. Besides the Jews, who were gathered from the liquidated ghettos of Jaslo, Tarnów, Rzeszów , Bochnia, Roma and Poles were detained in the camp. All the inmates fit to work were subjected to forced labor while others were systematically exterminated. In autumn 1943 there were about 5,000 detainees and their number gradually rose to 10,000. Throughout the entire existence of the camp, the inmates were killed by shooting either in the nearby forest of Dobrucowa or in the cemetery of Szebnie, or deported to the Auschwitz. Thus, the first execution of Jews was conducted September 22nd 1943, when about 700 Jews, including 400 from Tarnow, were murdered in the forest of Dobrucowa. The second execution occurred on November 6th in the same forest. Bodies of the victims were burned and thrown into a nearby river. On the eve of the second execution, 2,800 Jewish inmates from the camp were deported to Auschwitz.
For more information about the camp in Szebnie please refer to the corresponding profile
¿Tiene información adicional con respecto a un pueblo que le gustaría compartir con Yahad?
Por favor contáctenos a email@example.com
o llamando a Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17