1 Sitio(s) de ejecución
Olga Z.: "The Jews were told they were going to be sent to Germany to work. The elderly were taken to the cemetery and shot on-site, while the Germans and the police watched on. They used machine guns." (Witness N°379 interviewed in November, 2010)
Volpa is a town located 28 km north of Volkovysk. It is estimated that the Jewish population numbered circa. 1000-1500 before the war. In the 17th century, the community built a wooden synagogue that became famous for its original beauty. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad, films were sometimes organized and projected inside the synagogue. There was also a Jewish school. The town was under German occupation from 1941 to 1944.
An open ghetto was established in an area of the town soon after the Germans’ arrival. On November 1, 1942, all of the Jews had to gather at the market square for resettlement to a labor camp. According to Alina B., the local priest attended the scene. The Germans selected 34 to 60 very elderly and infirm individuals, supposedly because an old-age home was to be established for them in Volpa. The remaining Jews had to march to Vawkavysk on foot. After these Jews had departed, the Germans executed the Jews in a pit dug in advance close to the Jewish cemetery. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad - In Unum, these Jews were transported by local inhabitants, who were requisitioned with their carts. It appears that these Jews were killed by local policemen. On December 2, 1942, the remaining Jews were sent to the Treblinka extermination camp, where they were all gassed on arrival.
¿Tiene información adicional con respecto a un pueblo que le gustaría compartir con Yahad?
Por favor contáctenos a firstname.lastname@example.org
o llamando a Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17